Credits for Prior Learning - Departmental Challenge Exam & Appeals Process
- Review the list of approved Departmental Challenge Exams with the relevant Testing Center, Dean, Provost, or Associate Provost to determine if the course has an approved challenge exam and your eligibility.
- If eligible, complete a
Departmental Challenge Exam Request Form, complete Part 2, and submit to the appropriate academic dean for approval.
- The Academic Dean verifies is an appropriate Challenge Test available for you to complete the desired course. If so, and if you have not previously completed the Challenge Exam, the Dean may approve (Part 3).
- If approved by the Dean, the Challenge Exam form goes through the Registration office (Part 4). You will be assessed the $50 non-refundable administration fee through Student Accounts at this time. (Part 5).
- Once you pay the fee, the form is returned to the appropriate Academic Dean (Part 6) who will identify a faculty member who will arrange the exam and coordinate with you. (Should additional proctoring be necessary, you will be responsible for the cost).
- The Faculty Examiner will complete Part 6 of the form and deliver it along with a copy of the graded exam to the appropriate Academic Dean for signature. (Grading occurs within 10 days of test date).
- Once graded, the Academic Dean will let you know of the outcome in writing.
- The completed form is then forwarded to the Registrar's Office for processing.
- You will be notified that the Form is complete and that you may use the credits as pre-requisites for appropriate higher-level coursework. Registration may override the prior course requirement until the earned credits have been transcribed.
If you do not pass Departmental Challenge Exam, you will be notified in writing by the program chair within 10 days of the test date.
Once notified, you can appeal the decision to the Vice President, Academic Affairs. You must make the appeal in writing and submit it within 10 business days of the denial.
Return to Credits for Prior Learning page